Monday, October 10, 2011

Goofy Stuff

    We see things every day that baffle us and make us realize we truly are foreigners. The way of life here is just different and some of the simplest things are more different than I could have previously thought possible. I am trying my best to document them. First and foremost, I need to mention my biggest regret so far in Turkey. The other day I found a tiny hedgehog on the side of the road. He was smaller than my fist and ridiculously awesome / cute. I considered catching him and making him my new pet, but didn't simply because I didn't have anything to put him in besides my grocery bag. I regret that decision every day. All I want is another chance to find him, name him, and make him my own.

Me too buddy, me too...


Something that is a little difficult to adjust to is not owning a vehicle. Honestly, it is a relief and we don't need one at all. It would be a complete waste of money. We can ride the city bus anywhere at anytime for a  meager fee, and we don't have to worry about insurance / licencing / dying driving here. Still, when you need to buy stuff it presents a problem. We always end up riding the bus to the mall to buy stuff and then taking a taxi back if we have anything big (like the one time we both rode in the back while our Turkish taxi driver dealt with a massive potted houseplant in the front passenger seat). Well, we went to the mall with our friend David and soon realized that our stuff wouldn't fit unless we all sat in the back and held an ironing board and drying rack across all 3 of us and out both windows. It was silly. 


         There have been other things that are not as much funny, as strange. Like the time we were in a Turkish clothing store and I heard a familiar song. It really weirded me out. 
Not everyday that I expect to hear some (sort of) obscure indie rock while we are out in Ankara. 

Now, this next video is from our early days here. Everything in it no longer seems weird at all and I considered not putting it on, but oh well. You can never have too much I guess. 

And then there is always this. 

See that picture up there? Of that seemingly regular sized man? (Ok, I am fairly large...I will admit). Apparently though, I am in fact a giant. The BFG. You would think that I am walking into Santa's workshop when I go through doors here. Our school door frames are probably only 6 feet tall and I have to bend down like I am getting into a car to go through them. The first day of school a group of Kindergartners and first graders watched me go through the main lobby all had this look on their faces:

"He could eat us alive!"

    As funny as it is, there have been setbacks. I broke our shower door by smashing my face into it. I have punched several walls after smashing my face into door frames (one which was so low that I thought I might have broken my nose at first). But, there are some funny instances for sure. 



I have seen many dominoes brethren here. They zip by on awesome Dinos scooters with red helmets. I want to stick my giant body on one of the tiny scooters and relive my glory days of delivery.



We even tried it out. It was terrible. They put corn on the pizza and no sauce. 

It's ok though. We washed it down with some children's milk.

Now 3 more videos of our life and (goofy) times. The last one is a treat. 







Hopefully by the next time I will have adopted my new baby.


Lots of love, B+K     +Sonic

5 comments:

  1. My personal favorite: lunch with Bo. I love that Kendall shares the same sense of humor as pretty much all of us dudes (Me, Ryan, Marty, Gary, Jeff, Robert, Ben, Schober, Sam, ummmm all of us) and therefore she knows exactly what to film (Bo eating a bowl of spaghetti, flaunting his amazing mustache and singing a song about Ikea, because there are people getting wedded to rock and roll. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man, those shirts are getting popular! Is the panda big over there as well as the hedgehog? I hope you catch that thing dude, the +Sonic would be a great addition. Also Kendall, the snort and "poop logs"...awesome. Love all these videos and pictures! Yall are rock stars. Hedgehog Hunting Shalom!

    ReplyDelete
  3. jajaja. gr8 post. we had those disposable ice tray things in belgium, too!

    p.s. Mmm...Yok böyle bi' lezzet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is probably my favorite post. i'm going to have to pass along the idea of the corn pizza. sounds like a winner...?

    at least the sticker system is EXACTLY the same.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I laughed so hard at this post. Ask Ben.

    ReplyDelete